Troubleshooting: What to do if recording does not upload
The Tegrity recorder on the PC uses either (1) Microsoft Background Intellient Transfer Service (BITS) or (2) WinHTTP PUT to upload recordings. BITS enable resume-able uploads. Recordings may fail to upload under the following conditions:
- If BITS is disabled on the recording computer
- If WinHTTP PUT commands are blocked by antivirus software or a firewall
Step 1: Make sure that the recording computer is on (not hibernating or sleeping) and is connected to the internet.
Step 2: Disable antivirus or firewall software on the recording computer that may be blocking the Tegrity processing/upload services.
- After disabling antivirus or firewall, create and upload a new recording or force a re-upload of an existing recording .
- If the recording does not upload, proceed to Step 3.
Step 3: Confirm that BITS is running and if not rstart the BITS service.
- Click Start and click Control Panel.
- Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.
- Double-click Administrative Tools.
- Double-click Services.
- In the Services window, locate the service named “Background Intelligent Transfer Service” (BITS).
- Check the BITS status to confirm it is “Started”
- Double-click the BITS service.
- Click the “Log On” tab and ensure that the option “Local System account” is selected and the option “Allow service to interact with desktop” is unchecked. Change options if necessary.
- If applicable, check if BITS has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, click the Enable button to enable it. (If Hardware Profiles are not listed, proceed to the next step.)
- Click on the “General” tab and ensure that the “Startup Type” is “Automatic” or “Automatic (Delayed Start)”. Change Startup Type if necessary.
- If the “Service status” is not “Started”, click the “Start” button to start the service.
- After confirming that BITS is running, create and upload a new recording or re-upload an existing recording. Click here for instructions.
- If the recording does not upload, proceed to Step 4.
Step 4: Install or Re-Install BITS
- Go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads and search for Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Locate the most recent download applicable to your operating system and install, re-install, or update BITS.
- After installing/updating BITS, create and upload a new recording or re-upload an existing recording. Click here for instructions.
- If the recording does not upload, contact your institution’s help desk or Tegrity Support.