How to: Use Group Policy to Distribute Tegrity Recorder in Restricted Environments
You can use the Windows 2008 Group Policy feature to distribute Tegrity Recorder software automatically to Windows client computers.
This article assumes that you are familiar with Group Policy in general and software installation using Group Policy. For more information about using Group Policy in Microsoft Active Directory, refer to the Microsoft Active Directory documentation.
Installing Tegrity Recorder Packages Using Group Policy
It is possible to complete Software installation using Group Policy Object (GPO) either per client computer or per user. The Tegrity Recorder standalone installer packages should be distributed only to computers!
Software distribution to computers requires restarting the client computers. After reboot, the software is automatically installed on the client computer using Administrative permissions.
GPO software distribution supports only MSI Windows Installer packages. Tegrity provides MSI versions for all the required packages.
See: How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2008
Step-by-Step Software Distribution Using GPO
Before continuing, make sure you know how to create a GPO and assign a package.
To perform step-by-step software distribution using GPO:
1. Create a distribution point where you put Tegrity Recorder packages. This should be a shared network folder with read permissions so that the client computers can access it during the installation process.
2. Copy the MSI packages within the Tegrity PC Recorder standalone installer package to this folder
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) – 12.0.21005.msi
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) – 12.0.21005.msi (for 64 bit systems)
- MS Dot Net 126.96.36.199.1NetFx_Full_LDR_x86.msi (if not currently installed)
3. Create a Group Policy Object distributing Tegrity Recorder packages, or use an existing GPO.
4. Assign the Tegrity Recorder MSI packages by creating new packages under Computer Configuration – Software installation using the same order as in step 2.
Note: The order of assignments determines the order of installation. In addition, applying any change to one of these packages moves it to the end of the installation queue. Make sure the order of installations is done in the order the packages are listed above. (Setup.msi must be last.)